Monday, March 16, 2009

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - Shader Model Difference's


Well I had my graphics card overclocked (just because I could) but Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory seemed to have some problems with it overclocked so I put it back to normal as it would from time to time stop working and would make it harder to play as it would just lock up my PC and would always reset the resolution and put it on the low settings. And one time it took me a while to go oh this isn't right as I saw a guard on the ground and his face was very pixelated didn't look as good as it could so i went and checked the settings and found out yes they had been reset back to low (not that my PC cant handle it it just had crashed on those settings because the graphics card has been overclocked and it didn't know that so it rest to lowest settings if I was having problems with whatever settings I had it on.)

So Today I thought I'd have a look at just how much of a difference it makes and such seeing I could choose from this setting called Shader Model version 1.1,2 and 3 (which my graphics card has so I have it set on that.) So I set up "Sam Fisher" the character you play as and took a screenshot now I had a bit of trouble all I was getting was a black screen with the green goggles glowing in the pitch black screenshot I was getting I don't know why it happened but I solved the problem by using a program called FRAPS it records video footage off games or can even take screenshots as I used it for this reason.

So I select the screen size I use for all my games 1680x1050 and have the settings at max as far as I can go with shader model version 1.1 and then take a screenshot and get this...

(Click for full view)

So as you can see doesn't exactly look too crap or anything but at 1024x768 you do see the pixels and such and makes it look less attractive then at 1680x1050. Next shader model 2.0 with everything set at max only thing is antialiasing is disabled because it isn't available for shader model version 2.0 or 3.0 don't know why it just that way.

(Click for full view)

As you might see it seems alot brighter and you can see his face alot better then in previous shot so now all we have left is shader model 3.0.

(Click for full view)

All I can really see is its a tiny bit brighter in some parts of the objects in the background or showing more of a glow and such in parts where its not in shader model version 2.0.

Well that's it for today I'll have to think of something tomorrow as I haven't been home really i didn't get to do any work on my face texture using Poser and same goes with my Robber character.

1 comment:

  1. This is a helpful post, just picked up Chaos Theory on Steam sale and I was wondering about the shader settings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete